英国《金融时报》 记者 联合报道
BP is not planning to issue new shares, the company said yesterday, in spite of the pressure on its finances caused by its huge oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.
The group has been making overtures to investors in countries where it has good relationships, including the United Arab Emirates, in an attempt to encourage them to buy shares, but the company said that it was not trying to bring in strategic investors with new equity.
Libya’s top oil official on Monday said that his country’s sovereign wealth fund should invest in BP to take advantage of the troubled company’s falling share price. Shokri Ghanem, chairman of Libya’s national oil company, made the comments as BP made contact with Middle Eastern investors.
“BP is interesting now with the price lower by half and I still have trust in BP, I will recommend it to the LIA [the Libyan Investment Authority],” Mr Ghanem told Dow Jones.
加尼姆告诉道琼斯(Dow Jones)：“英国石油现在很有意思，其股价已下跌一半，我仍然相信英国石油。我将向利比亚投资局(Libyan Investment Authority)进行推荐。”
Shares in BP, which have lost almost half their value since its catastrophic explosion and oil spill in late April, closed 3.5 per cent higher at 333.3p in London. The group said on Monday the cost to date of the response to the spill had risen above $3bn.
Mr Ghanem’s comments came after an official in the Gulf told the Financial Times that BP had already been reaching out to investment entities in the region, particularly those with which it already had relations.
The official said the company was looking for access to capital to make it less vulnerable to competitors and takeover bids.
英国《金融时报》艾德•克鲁克斯(Ed Crooks)伦敦、安德鲁•英格兰(Andrew England)阿布扎比、西梅昂•克尔(Simeon Kerr)迪拜报道